Friday, April 13, 2007

Rosa Parks *

Rosa Parks is famous for triggering the Montgomery Bus Boycott which became one of the biggest movements against racial segregation in history. She started this all on December 1 1955 by sitting at the front of a bus instead of the back where all the black people were usually forced to sit. The front of the bus was for the 'white people'. The bus driver was telling her to get to the back but she disobeyed his orders. By her doing this, is also launched Martin Luther King Jr. to forefront the civil rights movement. She ended up getting arrested for this. She later wrote book called "My Story", and in it she said "People always say that I didn't give up my seat because I was tired, but that isn't true. I was not tired physically, or no more tired than I usually was at the end of a working day. I was not old, although some people have an image of me as being old then. I was forty-two. No, the only tired I was, was tired of giving in." I think she is a very strong woman for doing what she did.

No comments: